(Bucks County, PA) Shops and towns throughout Bucks County will be glowing with holiday lights and decorations to invite residents and visitors to experience festive cheer this winter. For shoppers looking to make their holiday gift buying a little more interesting, Bucks County has many unique opportunities to turn your shopping trip into a shopping experience.
For a full list of holiday shopping events and activities, check out www.VisitBucksCounty.com.
• For a stress-free and relaxing shopping outing, visit Peddler’s Village. With more than 70 specialty shops and several more brand-name stores at the adjacent Penn’s Purchase Outlets, Peddler’s Village has something for everyone. As you stroll through the winding pathways of this 18th-century-style shopping village, be sure to stop in the Village Gazebo to view entries in the Gingerbread House Competition, which runs from November 16 until January 5. If your shopping excursion falls on the first weekend in December, take part in all the activities at the Christmas Festival. Why not turn your shopping outing into an overnight or weekend getaway? Stay at the Golden Plough Inn and book their shopping package, which includes $100 in Peddler's Village Dining and Shopping certificates, a Passport to Values book including coupons and discounts for over 25 shops and restaurants and a complimentary wine tasting invitation to the new tasting room at Chaddsford Winery.
• With entertainment and performances by local choirs and carolers, shopping in New Hope will help even the grumpiest Scrooge get into the holiday spirit. Whether the perfect gift is apparel, jewelry, antiques or crafts, the boutiques peppered throughout New Hope can provide one-stop-shopping for all your holiday gifting needs. After making your list and checking it twice, stay for a performance at the Bucks County Playhouse. This December, the Playhouse will put on America’s beloved holiday classic, “It’s a Wonderful Life: A Live Radio Play.”
• Visit the shops on Main Street and State Street in Doylestown for both specialty items and gifts from national retailers. Don’t forget to shop in Henry Mercer’s labor of love, Moravian Pottery & Tileworks. Mercer was a major proponent in the Arts & Crafts Movement in America. You can still purchase handmade tile and mosaics and even take a tour of the facility. Then, head over to the Mercer Museum and Fonthill Castle to explore the history of everyday life in the 18th and 19th century. Also founded by Henry Mercer, the Mercer Museum houses a collection of fascinating artifacts that provoke visitors to view objects and history in a new way. A visit to the Mercer Museum isn't complete without experiencing the many treasures in the Museum Shop, which is filled with hand-crafted Pennsylvania redware, salt-glazed stoneware, hand-blown glassware, wool hooked rugs, miniature quilts, jewelry crafted from antique buttons and handmade Bucks County tiles from the Moravian Pottery and Tile Works.
• One trip to Byers’ Choice and you’ll leave singing Christmas carols all the way home. Every member of your family is sure to love a unique Caroler as a present. While shopping for the perfect figurine, visit the Christmas Museum, where you will be instantly transported back to Charles Dickens’ Victorian London. Then, stand on the Observation Deck, where you can view Byers’ Choice artisans bringing Carolers to life.
• Visit the Bucks County Visitor Center to experience a festive winter wonderland filled with trees decorated by local businesses. Each year, Visit Bucks County spreads holiday spirit with the Bucks County Holiday TreeFest! While you’re there, stop in the gift shop for exclusive Bucks County presents. Last year, Visit Bucks County partnered with Byers’ Choice to create a customized Bucks County Tourist Caroler; the perfect souvenir for your out-of-town friends and family! The Bucks County Tourist is available for sale at all Bucks County Visitor Centers located in Bensalem, Peddler’s Village and New Hope. All proceeds will benefit tourism marketing for the county.
Whether a little extra help is needed to get into the holiday spirit or you want to spice up your holiday shopping outing, Bucks County offers unique ways to enhance your gift-buying. With holiday cheer radiating from every storefront, you’re sure to have a holly jolly time looking for that perfect gift in Bucks County.
Michelle Greco Falcone
Visit Bucks County
215 639 0300 x 231
Visit Bucks County
215 639 0300 x 227
About Visit Bucks County
Visit Bucks County (VBC) is the official tourist promotion agency for Bucks County. The mission of the VBC is to increase visitation in Bucks County by effectively marketing its heritage and its diverse sites and attractions. For more information on VBC activities call 1-800-836-BUCKS, visit www.VisitBucksCounty.com or stop by the Bucks County Visitor Center located at 3207 Street Road in Bensalem (adjacent to the entrance to the PARX Casino). The Visitor Center is open seven days a week from 9 a.m. until 5 p.m. It is easily accessible from the Pennsylvania Turnpike, Route 1 and Interstate 95.