Virtually Rudy: New Dimensions in Sculpture
- Sponsor: James A. Michener Art Museum
- Location: James A. Michener Art Museum
- Dates: February 18, 2018 - April 8, 2018
- Recurrence: Recurring daily
- Address: 138 S Pine St, Doylestown, PA 18901
- Phone: (215) 340-9800
- Time: 10:00 AM to 4:30 PM
- Price: Members free, Non-Members: Adult: $18.00, Senior: $17.00, College Student with Valid ID: $16.00, Youth age 6-18: $8.00 & Children under 6: Free
In 2015, the Michener was the first institution on the East Coast and the fourth institution in the United States to partner with the Google Cultural Institute 3D Operations team to digitize twenty-six objects from the Michener’s permanent collection, making these works accessible in 3D to a global audience. Fifteen sculptures by Charles Rudy (1904-1986) were among the first pieces at the Michener to be scanned and exhibited online.
In this innovative exhibition, Rudy sculptures will appear alongside their digital representations, exploring the intersection between 20th century art and 21st century technology. Using Google Cardboard viewers, the Rudy scans can be viewed in virtual reality, and 3D printing demonstrations will illustrate the fascinating process through which intangible objects are made real. Virtually Rudy is the first exhibition to explore new dimensions, both physical and virtual, of Rudy’s work, creating a unique, immersive experience—one where the nationally known sculptor’s pieces can be seen and enjoyed like never before.