Top 10 Holiday Happenings
From festive furry friends to holiday light shows, Bucks County offers the perfect events and activities to celebrate the holiday season. Welcome winter and spread the yuletide joy with the whole family.
1) Everyone's favorite street will be decked out in holiday lights during A Very Furry Christmas on select dates through December 31 at Sesame Place! Take a ride on the Sesame Place Furry Express or dance around during the Neighborhood Street Party Christmas Parade. New in 2017, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, along with his friends Clarice and Bumble, will be spending the holiday season at the family park.
2) Millions of lights illuminate acres of farmland during Shady Brook Farm’s 2017 Annual Holiday Light Show. Take a tractor-drawn wagon ride through whimsical light displays filled with your favorite holiday characters or keep cozy and warm in the comfort of your own vehicle through January 7.
3) All aboard Santa's Steam Spectacular! The historic #40 steam engine returns to the New Hope & Ivyland Railroad this year and you can hop on for an adventure through the historic Bucks County countryside. Or dress the kids in their PJs as they live out their Christmas fantasy aboard the North Pole Express for an unforgettable holiday journey. Santa and Mrs. Claus will join you with hot cocoa, cookies and Christmas carols on select days through December 31.
4) Visit the borough of Perkasie in Upper Bucks County for the oldest tree lighting ceremony in the country. 2017 marks the 108th year! The festivities take place on December 2, but you can stroll through town to see the decorations all season long.
5) Santa kicks off the holidays at Peddler’s Village with dazzling lights throughout the holiday season. Feast your eyes on the Gingerbread Competition & Display through January 6. Save the dates for the Grand Illumination Celebration on November 17 and join Visit Bucks County for a free photo walk on December 3.
6) Witness history on the shores of the Delaware River during the annual re-enactment of General George Washington's daring river-crossing on Christmas Night in 1776. Watch more than 200 re-enactors row across the river in the same style Durham boats and see colonial-era games and period demonstrations. Or catch the Annual Christmas Day Crossing Re-enactment at Washington Crossing Historic Park.
7) The Bucks County Visitor Center in Bensalem will be filled with holiday cheer as uniquely-themed trees light up the main gallery during the Annual Bucks County Holiday TreeFest. Throughout the six-week celebration, visitors can browse the decorated trees, enjoy musical entertainment and visit with Santa Claus on select dates until January 4.
8) Come to the Christmas capital of the county, Byers' Choice, this holiday season! Enjoy Christmas cookies and juice as you explore the famous Christmas workshop observation deck and marvel at more than 250 nativities from around the world in the Creche room.
9) See Fonthill Castle dressed up for the holiday season! Winter Wonderland Holiday Decoration Tours feature trees themed to express the varied interests of Henry Mercer.
10) Take a holiday tour of the farmhouse once lived in by Nobel and Pulitzer Prize winning author Pearl S. Buck during the 39th Annual Festival of Trees through December 30.