- Sponsor: Bucks County Center for the Performing Arts
- Location: Delaware Valley University
- Dates: August 5, 2021 - August 22, 2021
- Recurrence: Recurring weekly on Sunday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday
- Address: 700 E Butler Ave, Doylestown, PA 18901
- Phone: (215) 297-8540
- Time: 8:00 PM to 10:00 PM
- Price: All Tickets $49
- Reservations Required: Yes
A Tribute to Oscar Hammerstein II and James Michener.
Set in an island paradise during World War II, two parallel love stories are threatened by the dangers of prejudice and war. Nellie, a spunky nurse from Arkansas, falls in love with a mature French planter, Emile. Nellie learns that the mother of his children was an island native and, unable to turn her back on the prejudices with which she was raised, refuses Emile’s proposal of marriage. Meanwhile, the strapping Lt. Joe Cable denies himself the fulfillment of a future with an innocent Tonkinese girl with whom he’s fallen in love out of the same fears that haunt Nellie. When Emile is recruited to accompany Joe on a dangerous mission that claims Joe’s life, Nellie realizes that life is too short not to seize her own chance for happiness, thus confronting and conquering her prejudices.
Music by Richard Rodgers | Lyrics by Oscar Hammerstein II | Book by Oscar Hammerstein II and Joshua Logan | Adapted from the Pulitzer Prize-winning 1947 James Michener book “Tales of the South Pacific.”